Country Tour in Luxembourg
Country tour with our English-speaking driver-guides that are at your service to enable an exceptional Luxembourg sightseeing tour experience.
Discover the Country of Luxembourg
Luxembourg is a small country (only 2568 square kilometers) landlocked between France, Belgium and Germany. It’s a very rural state with dense forests, deep gorges and river valleys. Most of the inhabitants live in Luxembourg city. Luxembourg is a very wealthy state, a founding member of the EEC (later the European Union). The Schengen area, the policy of opening borders between certain European nations, bears the name of the Luxembourg village of Schengen because it is here that these agreements were signed. Luxembourg has used the euro currency since 1999, when it was created. The history of Luxembourg is long and varied. Its foundation dates back to the 10th century with a small castle built on a precarious bank. Over the centuries, it has been repeatedly rebuilt and enlarged to become a reputed fortress. Over the centuries, Luxembourg has been ruled by a Roman emperor, the Burgundians, the Bourbons, the Habsburgs, the Hohenzollerns and even Napoleon.
Returning to the Grand Duchy at the end of the war, the Grand Duchess Charlotte no
longer lives in Colmar-Berg and moved to the Château de Fischbach until her death in 1985.
After the war, the castle was subjected to an important restoration process which ended in
1964, for the accession to the throne of the Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, who settled
there. Since 1964, the castle has been the residence of the sovereign in office. After the
abdication of 2000, the Grand Duke Jean leaves the castle of Colmar-Berg and settles in
the castle of Fischbach, leaving Colmar-Berg to the new Grand Duke Henri.
The Colmar-Berg castle (in Luxembourgish: Schlass Bierg, in German: Schloss Berg) is the main residence of the Grand-Ducal family of Luxembourg. It is located in the locality of Colmar-Berg, in the center of Luxembourg, near the confluence of the Alzette and Attert rivers. The ownership of the woods of the castle of Berg was acquired by the Dutch royal family in 1845. King William II of the Netherlands, at that time Grand Duke of Luxembourg, bought the castle and the adjacent property in order to acquire '' an official residence on Luxembourg territory. The property was purchased from the Pasquier family and in 1848 recognized as the official residence of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg in the Grand Duchy. With the independence of Luxembourg from the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1890, the castle of Berg became the property of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, who sold it to her cousin the Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg in 1891. In 1906, the Grand Duke William IV of Luxembourg demolishes the old castle in order to build a more modern one designed by the German and Luxembourg architects Max Ostenrieder and Pierre Funck. Work began in 1907 and ended on September 9, 1911. The crash of 1929 resulted in great economic difficulties for the grand-ducal family. Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg ceded the castle of Berg and the Grand Ducal Palace of Luxembourg to the government in order to keep public money at the palace. The grand-ducal family used them as official apartments as recognized in article 44 of the Luxembourg Constitution. During the Second World War, the castle was occupied by German troops, during which time the castle suffered serious damage among its most important works of art. For its part, the palace (in the city of Luxembourg), during the period 1940-1944, was used as an education center for Luxembourgish female students. The highest Nazi political authority, following the annexation of Luxembourg to the Third Reich, preferred not to be established either at the castle of Colmar-Berg, or at the Grand Ducal Palace, but at the seat of Arbed (current seat Arcelor Mittal).
undertaken across the entire area of the castle. The data resulting from these
archaeological excavations will allow us to complete our knowledge of the history of the
The ruins of the Château de Larochette, located on a promontory of the Grés de Luxembourg, dominate the Ernz Blanche valley, a confluence of the Sûre, around 150 m above sea level. The access from the spur crosses a vast farmyard protected by an earth fortification. The main castle, built of ashlar, is surrounded by an enclosure which today is largely destroyed. A deep moat, partially of natural origin, divides the castle into two parts. At the end of the promontory, the remains of several stately homes attest to the quality of the ceremonial architecture of this castle. Since the acquisition of the castle in 1979 by the Luxembourg government, the historic Larochette complex has benefited from significant restoration and enhancement measures. Photogrammetric surveys carried out immediately after the purchase of the castle were supplemented by archaeological studies, still in progress. The lords of Larochette appeared towards the end of the 12th century, notably as banners of the Maison de Luxembourg. Towards the end of the 14th century, there were five stately residences within the castle. The construction of the Maison de Hombourg took place around 1350, as a result of the alliance of the brothers Frédéric and Conrad, lords of Hombourg, with the sisters Irmgard and Mathilde de Larochette. The Maison de Créhange, in turn, was erected around 1385. At the end of the 16th century, the castle fell prey to flames and has since been in ruins. The house of Créhange, of a quality architecture was restored between 1983 and 1987. The House of Hombourg was consolidated and restored in the years 1987 and 1988. In addition to the restoration and consolidation work, extensive excavation and clearing work was